The library is a place for reading, studying, and using library materials. In order for library customers to enjoy library materials and services, for staff to conduct library business, and to ensure the safety of all, we ask customers to be respectful of others and behave in a manner that does not disrupt other customers or staff.
Behavior that interferes with the ability to use the library appropriately includes, but is not limited to:
- Noise and disruptive behavior – Loud talking, creating disturbing noises, running, throwing objects, or disobeying the direction of library staff. Audio equipment should be used with headphones set to a volume level that does not disturb other patrons/staff.
- Cell phones – Cell phones should be set to silent or vibrate. Loud, extended conversations that disturb others may not be held in the library.
- Harassing customers or staff – Deliberate repeated behavior that is intimidating, hostile, offensive, or adversely impacts staff work performance. Profane, obscene, abusive, threatening or insulting language.
- Property damage – Intentionally damaging, destroying or stealing any property belonging to the library, another customer or staff.
- Drugs, alcohol and tobacco – Possession, sale, distribution, use, or being under the influence of any controlled substance or alcoholic beverage. Smoking or chewing tobacco.
- Engaging in or soliciting any sexual activity.
- Internet – Using the Internet for unlawful purposes as defined by federal, state, or local law.
- Weapons – Possession of weapons or other items deemed dangerous by library staff. Violation of posted concealed weapons prohibition.
- Obstruction – Blocking entrances, exits, hallways and aisles. Monopolizing tables, seating or equipment to the exclusion of others.
- Food and beverages – Eating is not permitted. Beverages must be in covered containers.
- Dress – Shirts and shoes must be worn.
- Rest rooms – Rest rooms may not be used for bathing, washing hair, laundering clothes, or as a gathering place.
- Animals – Only service animals are permitted.
- Unauthorized areas – Entering non-public areas without a staff member, remaining in the library when it is closed, or failing to leave when requested.
- Soliciting and bulletin board postings – Engaging in campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey taking, soliciting contributions, gambling, panhandling or selling. Notices for posting must be approved in accordance with library policy.
- Sports equipment – Roller-skating, rollerblading, skateboarding, ball playing, cycling are not permitted on library property.
- Unattended children – Children under age seven must be accompanied by a parent or responsible caretaker.
- Other acts disruptive to customers and staff.
- Any illegal activity.
Library employees are authorized to bring to an individual’s attention any act or omission which violates these rules.
The individual will be asked to change the problem behavior to conform to the rules. If such change is not evident or forthcoming, that individual will be asked to leave library property and risk the loss of library privileges. Criminal action will be taken as required.